My Martial Art

I started training in a modernized method of Wing Chun in Jacksonville, FL in 1995. Make no mistake, it was just dumb luck that I found it. I had no previous experience with martial arts other than when I was a kid. After a few years of training I decided to look into other martial arts. I looked into karate, jiu jitsu, muay thai and tae kwon do. I even looked into other forms of Wing Chun, only to find that my original Wing Chun was my martial art of choice. I thought all martial arts, and lines of Wing Chun, were as expansive as what I had found in my original Wing Chun. Quite honestly, they just aren't. Other martial arts have their pluses and minuses, but none was as instinctively limitless as what I had found originally in Wing Chun. The more I learn, the more it proves to me how great it is.

True Wing Chun is very different from other martial arts. What most people don't understand is that authentic Wing Chun is not a style. True Wing Chun is a concept-based art built around the laws of physics. It's theories and maxims are highly simplistic -- they just make sense. But that doesn't mean Wing Chun is easy to learn. It's not easy to make your body react to a threatening situation in the most scientific way possible. But that's exactly what we train to do.

Wing Chun isn't as well known as other martial arts. You don't see it in sports like the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) so people don't really know much about it.

How many times have I come upon a person that has been brainwashed in thinking what they see on TV is reality? Or heard the ignorance that only those combat sports that you see in the UFC are worth anything? No matter how brutal they may seem, combat sports do NOT teach reality-based self defense. They work in the confines of the rules within the sport, not on the street. These sports can be fun, but they aren't going to teach you realistic street fighting. These matches and so called "fights" are not reality. My Wing Chun is. Its geared specifically for situations that happen in a realistic (no rules) confrontation.

What's more, Wing Chun is so much more than fighting. It is also an internal art founded in Chinese medicine and philosophy. Using structure and relaxation as its secrets while attacking along acupuncture meridians of the body, Wing Chun follows the idea of Yin and Yang as it transitions through opposite energies and flowing attacks. Its principles and concepts can positively affect every part of your life. Its simplicity is brilliant while its depth is infinite.

I just don't see this in other arts. That's why this unique line of Wing Chun is... my martial art.


© Martial Arts San Clemente